Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Album Review: Earth - Hex, or Printing in the Infernal Method




Hex, or Printing in the Infernal Method by Earth
Release Date: October 2005
Length: 46:29 (61:35 on vinyl)
Label: Southern Lord
Buy the Album: Amazon
Album Rating: 5/5






As I just saw Earth play live in Nashville Saturday (which was amazing) I thought I would put up a review of one of my favorite albums by them. (I was going to review it eventually, but why not now?)

After a long hiatus Earth comes back onto the scene with a new album and direction. Where previously their music was heavy metal/drone, their new album, while keeping elements of drone (long notes, slightly minimalistic, no vocals), has a distinct western flair and the guitar is less sludgy, along with the inclusion of drums, traditional instruments, and experimentation.

While I was initially turned onto the drone genre by SunnO))) I later discovered Earth through this album and it has consistently stayed in my album rotation and is one of my top albums. The best way I can describe this album is that if a ghost town from the 1840s in the middle of Kansas had a soundtrack, this album would be it. This album reminds me of an Ennio Morricone soundtrack for a revisionist western. Haunting at times, this album mixes complex guitar work, ambiance, and traditional drone into a compelling album.

I highly recommend checking this album out. The link below is perhaps not the best playlist to listen to the album as all the tracks are shortened, but they are enough to get a good idea about their music if you want to investigate further. Which, if you do, I don't think you will be disappointed. This album was supposedly influenced by Cormac McCarthy's Blood Meridian and would perhaps be apropos to listen to this while reading that, though I think this album is great background music while reading in general.


Hex, or Printing in the Infernal Method Youtube Playlist

No comments:

Post a Comment